Women’s Health Physiotherapy
Women’s heath physiotherapy is a speciality dedicated to the assessment and treatment of pelvic floor problems. Whether you are pregnant, have recently had a baby, or gave birth decades ago, seeing a specialist women’s health physio is something that can be done at all stages of life.
We offer new mums a full physiotherapy check-up post-natally. This can be anytime from 6 weeks (after your GP appointment), onwards. Once you have had a baby you will always be post-natal, so even if you have given birth years ago this assessment can still be invaluable.
Your post-natal assessment will include:
- Pelvic floor assessment – checking your healing and muscle strength
- Abdominal assessment – checking for any separation between your abdominal muscles (diastasis recti)
- Scar tissue assessment (c-section or perineal)
We can also discuss any specific concerns you might be having regarding your bladder and bowel, sex, lifting and carrying your baby, or returning to exercise.
You can also book in for women’s health physiotherapy assessment anytime during pregnancy if you would like to have an ante-natal assessment, or wish to discuss any of the following:
- Pregnancy related pelvic girdle pain
- Pelvic floor / bladder weakness
- Exercise in pregnancy
- Perineal massage / birthing preparation
General women’s health assessments
As well as offering ante and post-natal assessments, we offer 60 minute women’s health physiotherapy appointments for the following conditions:
- Bladder weakness
- Stress incontinence / urge incontinence
- Prolapse / symptoms of a bulge or heaviness in the vagina
- Pelvic floor weakness post-menopause
- Post-pelvic surgery rehab (or advice pre-surgery)